Saturday, February 23, 2013

History

Hey all,

I am just getting in from having lunch and conversation with ladies that I volunteer with in one of my churches ministries.  Although I volunteer with them twice a month, I really haven't had the time to get to know them on a personal level.  In speaking about small church stuff, the conversation lead to some history of the lives of these wonderful women.  It was eye opening conversation.  I sat and was mesmerized on the trials that these ladies have been through.  The mixture of family and culture through out the years.  Oh, I forgot to mention that every one in the room was much older than me (I'm talking grand kids older.....LOL). But one of the ladies at the table said "these young mothers today don't even talk to their children about history." 

I thought that was a very good statement.  I began to think on this being Black History Month but how many of us turn to our own family to learn about our own history?  I missed a really great opportunity when I was younger to milk my grandmother for all of her stories.  I was at her house just about every weekend until I was 18yrs old.  I realize now that I took a lot of her wisdom for granted.  I do have a few family members that are doing ancestry work and laying the bricks that go me to this point today but it not that easy.  A lot of questions we have but the matriarchs of my family have all passed on or too old to speak about their past.  You know hindsight is 20/20 but when I do reminisce of my time with my grandmother, I really missed the time I spent with her.  I could have done more listening instead of talking.  But its never too late to begin to talking to family members that are here with us.  Just start the conversation and sit back a listen.  :-)

As always, you can read my blog at:wtmhgospelradio.blogspot.com and email me at: wtmhgospelblog@gmail.com with any request or responses.

Stay blessed and I look forward to chatting with you.

La Shawnda

Scripture of the week:

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be righteousness of God in him.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment